River Fire Hat

So, there still hasn’t been a whole lot going on around here. My life has been fairly quiet – which is the way I like it. But, I do realize that I’ve completed a few projects since my last post. I will create a new post for each project.

The hat that I mentioned that I was making, I finished on February 18th. It is the River Fire hat by Varian Brandon. It took me almost two months to finish.

I used Red Heart Yarn’s Anne Geddes Baby Solids in the colors Bluebell and Daffodil. I was wanting to use the blue and a white color, but when I went back to the store they had no more white in that brand – just the yellow.

I used my 3.5mm knook to knit this hat, using the stranded technique. I used the first method described – making the ear flaps first.

I knew that I didn’t want to make i-cord for the ties. So, I used this video to learn how to make the braids for the hat.

This was my first time using the i-cord bind off and I really like it a lot. I can see why it’s such a popular bind off for sweaters.

I added this photo so that you could (hopefully) see the pattern a little better. I made a mistake on the first row of the scroll pattern, at the bottom. I was quite a ways in before realizing the mistake happened – I didn’t feel like ripping it all back to redo it.

The hat is a bit big, but that’s okay because I don’t like tight things around my head. The fact that it’s a long hat means that it’s slouchy. The fold-over helps keep it where it should be on my head. The ear flaps are a little too big and come quite far down my neck, but I really prefer that to them being too small.

Because it’s a stranded-knit hat, it is double thick. Nice and warm. I wore it several times during the winter.

There was an error in chart 7. Row 3, stitches 18 and 19 should be filled in squares.

I really enjoyed making this hat. It is a beautiful pattern. Naturally, when working in the round there is a jog. But, the tassel hangs down to the bottom of the hat and hides this feature nicely.

If you are looking for a fun, unique hat to wear yourself or make as a gift, do make this hat.

Cowl for James

I’ve been on a colorwork kick, again. It really is fun to do. I love watching the pattern emerge, row by row.

I decided that my sweetie needed a new cowl. And, since it needed to be thick, I decided to make it a Fair Isle thing. I used Red Heart Super saver for the decorative portion of the cowl.

I used the colorwork chart from the A carreaux pattern. I re-wrote the chart to make it repeatable and made it 80-stitches wide. Using the Alba cowl as a guide, I made the charted portion of the cowl 31 stitches and did 5 rounds of 2×2 rib on the top and bottom.

a-carreaux-1

I wish that I would’ve put a couple of rows of garter stitch between the ribbing and the pattern. Because I didn’t, it looks like the ribbing is infiltrating the Fair Isle. Bah!

In order to make sure that the cowl was super-thick and warm, I decided to make a liner. For this, I used Red Heart Soft yarn. I made the liner 41 rows of gray. It was not tall enough. So, I added a few rounds of black Soft yarn to the top and bottom. I’m not sure what the bind off I did was, but I sewed the liner to the main cowl at the same time.

WordPress is being difficult and won’t let me upload a photo of the liner. That’s okay, it’s just plain stockinette in gray yarn with a little bit of black on the top and bottom. I’m sure your imagination can show you what it looks like.

I cast on a foundation chain of 80 stitches with a 6mm hook. I knit the body of the cowl with a 5mm knook. I also bound off with a 6mm hook.

Because I seem to very much enjoy color knitting, I decided to get a Norwegian Knitting Thimble. I have high hopes that this will make colorwork much easier.