Five-Shell Bavarian Rectangle Rug

I’ve added this pattern to the Ravelry database, here.

Our front bathroom needed a rug in front of the sink. Since I’ve been feeling frugal, I decided to just make something, rather than buying one. Please excuse the bad phone photos.

I tried an existing pattern to make a Bavarian rectangle, but it was too long and narrow – more like a runner.

I could find no instructions for making a 5-shell Bavarian rectangle, so I made my own.

Each shell needs a foundation of 7 chains (3 for each side and 1 in the middle that you work the shell into). In between each shell, there is 1 chain for a single crochet.

Because the beginning shell uses part of the foundation chain, that bit of chain is counted as a triple crochet in the shell. At the opposite end, you work into the last chain stitch.

Foundation chain – 41.

7 tc in 5th ch from hook. Skip 3. (Sc next ch. Skip 3. 8 tc next stitch.) In the last chain you will be making 16 tc (wrapping around so you can begin working in the opposite side of the chain).

Single crochet in all the single crochets and put 8 tc in all the places where there’s already 8 tc (including the last shell).

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Now, you’re ready to begin doing your regular Bavarian work with the Cluny groups.

I used a chain of 4 in my Cluny groups, rather than a chain of 5. This worked better for me, as the chain 5 seems to be a little too tall.

I used Red Heart Super Saver in the colors Baby Blue, Soft Navy and White. I used a 5.5mm hook.

It is nice and squishy to stand on, in front of the sink. As I’d hoped, it isn’t too terribly slippery. I figured that if it was, I could just use some of that rubber mat stuff underneath, if necessary. Thankfully, it has been fine.

This took me a few weeks to make, because I kept putting it down. This stitch kind of aggravates my arthritis.

Phone Pillows

I go through spurts where I read a lot. Most of the books that I read, I read on either my phone or a tablet. My tablet cover has a built-in stand, but my phone does not. Since I’m lazy, I needed a way to hold my phone on my desk when I’m at work. The hunt was on for a way to make a stand. There are some great ideas out there. I stumbled across one that was crochet and I thought it was perfect. Because, you know, I have a lot of yarn…

On March 7th I made a phone pillow using this pattern.

It’s a super-simple design and took me about 4 or 5 hours to complete, with several breaks. I crocheted this in Red Heart Super Saver in the colorway Black Light. I used a 4.0mm hook. I stuffed the pillow with some yarn that I don’t like. I don’t think I stuffed the back quite enough, but it works perfectly.

I liked this pattern so much that I made a second one, in Red Heart Super Saver – Pink Camo. The Black Light one I took out to my dark office and I use the Pink Camo one in the house (on my lap). Interestingly, I stuffed the camo one a bit more and I think I really like it better the way I made the first.

The pattern is so easy and works up so quickly, you could make one for everyone!

Save

Save

River Fire Hat

So, there still hasn’t been a whole lot going on around here. My life has been fairly quiet – which is the way I like it. But, I do realize that I’ve completed a few projects since my last post. I will create a new post for each project.

The hat that I mentioned that I was making, I finished on February 18th. It is the River Fire hat by Varian Brandon. It took me almost two months to finish.

I used Red Heart Yarn’s Anne Geddes Baby Solids in the colors Bluebell and Daffodil. I was wanting to use the blue and a white color, but when I went back to the store they had no more white in that brand – just the yellow.

I used my 3.5mm knook to knit this hat, using the stranded technique. I used the first method described – making the ear flaps first.

I knew that I didn’t want to make i-cord for the ties. So, I used this video to learn how to make the braids for the hat.

This was my first time using the i-cord bind off and I really like it a lot. I can see why it’s such a popular bind off for sweaters.

I added this photo so that you could (hopefully) see the pattern a little better. I made a mistake on the first row of the scroll pattern, at the bottom. I was quite a ways in before realizing the mistake happened – I didn’t feel like ripping it all back to redo it.

The hat is a bit big, but that’s okay because I don’t like tight things around my head. The fact that it’s a long hat means that it’s slouchy. The fold-over helps keep it where it should be on my head. The ear flaps are a little too big and come quite far down my neck, but I really prefer that to them being too small.

Because it’s a stranded-knit hat, it is double thick. Nice and warm. I wore it several times during the winter.

There was an error in chart 7. Row 3, stitches 18 and 19 should be filled in squares.

I really enjoyed making this hat. It is a beautiful pattern. Naturally, when working in the round there is a jog. But, the tassel hangs down to the bottom of the hat and hides this feature nicely.

If you are looking for a fun, unique hat to wear yourself or make as a gift, do make this hat.