Well… Me, actually…
So, I have several (five) windows that are either naked or ugly and need to be covered. I decided that I would make curtains. Crocheted lace curtains, to be more specific.
I set out on the arduous journey of finding patterns. Unfortunately, there wasn’t really a lot out there for curtains, so I also looked at shawls, scarves and blanket patterns (knowing that I could alter the pattern).
Let me tell you… There are HUNDREDS of gorgeous lace patterns out there! I spent DAYS looking at patterns. Finally, I narrowed down my choices to about 20. Once I did that I was able to decide which pattern I wanted to do on the first window. I have priorities, the naked windows first, then the ugly ones.
The pattern that I chose for the first window was the Elegant Simplicity Shawl. I had some white, worsted-weight yarn on hand, so I commenced to hooking. I spent a few days working on the first panel (I wanted two) and realized that I was going to run out of yarn. Well, no worries, right? White, worsted-weight yarn is pretty darn popular and I should have no problem matching it… WRONG! As a matter of fact, this particular yarn that I had used is no longer in existence (’twas given to me)… And, it is a little bit creamier than the white, worsted-weight yarn that I bought to complete the panel. UGH.
I had a choice to make… Go ahead and complete the project using the “off” yarn, or start over… I must say, it looks lovely on my end table.
Since I was starting over, I decided to go with a different pattern. So, back to the decision-making process. Thankfully, I had already narrowed the list and only had 19 to choose from. As an aside, each window is going to have a different pattern – yes, yes, I know I only have five windows… I decided which pattern would be perfect for my kitchen window, but that didn’t help, because the kitchen isn’t the first. List narrowed to 18.
FINALLY, I decided on a terrific lace pattern! It’s pretty, easy, and lacy enough to be feminine but with small enough holes to provide privacy: it is the Mist Stole pattern.
I love how the chain sections look like little Gothic windows!
I used Red Heart Soft Baby Steps yarn, in White and a size I (5.50mm) hook.
Because this was a stole pattern, I had to come up with some sort of way to attach the panels to the curtain rod. I decided to use the same stitch pattern that is in the panel (between the Gothic windows). I think the tabs turned out nicely!
I had to make three panels, because despite measuring, one panel (post-blocking) was too narrow to fit one half of the window.
The panels, while they are technically the same size, blocked kind of funny. One panel is longer and narrower than the other two. Ah well. Maybe next time they get washed, they’ll even out.
It took me about eight hours per panel. Of course, I only worked on them for a couple-few hours per night, so it took me a few weeks.
Now, I’m going to buy the store out of that yarn (a few times, probably) and move on to the kitchen!